Monday, August 3, 2009

Found: Uncle in Babe Ruth Photo

We receive a fairly steady stream of letters asking for help in identifying a player or family member, family looking for information on a relative that may have played with the Browns, researching information on Browns uniforms, and others. The following is one of those heart-warming series of letters we received in recent weeks. Every once in a while, we get lucky.
--------------------------------

Mr. Rogers,

In making my way through numerous Google links to finally land on the St Louis Brown's Historical Society and Fan Club page, I am writing to see if you can help me find a photo. My uncle was 10 years old on June 19, 1948 when Babe Ruth made his last appearance at Sportsman's Park. He was one of the kids who ran out onto the field to be in a group photo with Babe Ruth. He was on Babe Ruth's left side with a baseball hat on. I am trying to find out how I can get a copy of the photo. I am not sure what paper it was in and how I go about requesting a copy. Would you be able to help me?

Regards,
Patty

(Click on photo to enlarge)

--------------------------------

Patty, let me know if your uncle is in this photo. Hope this helps. This is the only one I have with the kids around Babe. Picture is below and file attached. The primary newspapers that would have covered this would have been the St. Louis Globe Democrat and/or the Star Times. Both papers were acquired by our present St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Bill

--------------------------------

Bill,

I don’t think I ever thanked you for this photo. My uncle is definitely in it. He passed in 1995 unexpectedly and my aunt was thrilled beyond belief to have a copy of this. She has passed it on to her two boys. As soon as my mother saw it, she remembered it exactly as she had gone to the game with her brother and pushed him to run out on the field! Thank you so much for taking the time to send it to me.

Warm regards,
Patty
--------------------------------

To Bill Rogers:

My niece, Patty, forwarded me the picture taken in 1948 of my husband with Babe Ruth and the kids. It's such a nice picture. My husband looks so sweet. It's a nice memento for me and my two sons.Thank you for taking the time to research this event and send the picture onto Patty.

Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment