Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bob Dillinger, 91, Former St. Louis Brown Dies

Former St. Louis Browns infielder and World War II veteran Bob Dillinger passed away November 7, 2009 at the age of 91 (1918-2009). Dillinger led the American League in hits in 1948 with 207, was an A.L. All-Star in 1949, and was the A.L. stolen base champion for three consecutive seasons (1947-1949). Dillinger played 6 seasons total in the Majors Leagues for the Browns, Athletics, Pirates and White Sox.

In a 2003 interview with Bob Kuenster in Baseball Digest, Dillinger reflected on his All-Star and wartime playing experiences. "We played hard and played to win. You wanted to do good," he said. "Even though it was my first and only All-Star game, I played in those types of games before. During the war, I played on the special service team with guys like Joe DiMaggio, Ferris Fain, Jerry Priddy and other big leaguers. I played center field for DiMaggio's club in Guam in front of 40,000 troops."

1 comment:

  1. I never saw Bobby Dillinger play, but I bought a Rawlings "Bobby Dillinger" baseball glove in 1950 and it was the best baseball glove I ever had. I bought another one in early 1952 and when I wore the first one out, I started using the other one. I wore the second one out by the end of the 53 season. In 54 I tryed everywhere to find another one. No luck. I played the game untill 1968, whent thru a lot more gloves, but nrver found one I liked as much as those old Bob Dillinger ones. Ed Delaney

    ReplyDelete