By Bill Gilbert, Rogers Hornsby Chapter, Society for American Baseball Research
(Pictured - Bill Gilbert)
(2) If ever there was a team of destiny, it’s the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals. Future regular season and World Series comebacks will be measured against what the Cardinals did this year.
(3) The only time the Cardinals were ahead in game 6 was at the end.
(4) Game 6 had 6 home runs and 5 errors and the Rangers had 3 pitchers charged with blown saves. None of their 7 relievers escaped unscathed.
(5) Hunter Pence would have caught the ball that Nelson Cruz should have had on David Freese’s game tying triple.
(6) Where would the Cardinals be without Lance Berkman? He could possibly join Albert Pujols (and former teammates Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell) in the Hall of Fame.
(7) Aside from his 5-hit game, Pujols had only 1 hit in the other 6 games.
(8) I can’t recall seeing so many right-handed batters hit to right field as in the post season this year.
(9) In game 6, Joe Buck talked about Jaime Garcia as a potential pinch-hitter for two innings before he realized Garcia had been the starting pitcher.
(10) Michael Young is a better designated hitter than a first baseman.
(11) Will Ruth Ryan still be this pretty when she is 75?
(12) I thought it was great that no Eastern Division team, including the three biggest spenders were not in the World Series.
(13) In the 17 years of Divisional Play, 10 wild card teams have played in the World Series and the Cardinals are the 5th team to win it.
(14) How drunk do you have to be to get tattoos on your neck?
(15) The state of Texas came within one pitch (twice) of having the best and worst teams in major league baseball this year.