Saturday, August 23, 2008

Dizzy Dean Was Crazy Like a Fox

Crazy Like a Fox Was Diz, 37, still good enough to pitch? The 1947 Browns threw him Opening Day. Dean singled, spaced three hits in four innings, then pulled a muscle.

The soon-again-Voice gave a lecture: "Radio Announcing I Have Did." The Soviets domineered Eastern Europe. "Got to get me a bunch of bats and balls and sneak me a couple of empires and learn them kids behind the Iron Curtain how to bat and play baseball." Marshal Stalin -- "Joe Stallion" -- could run concessions. "That way he'd getta outta' politics and get in a honest business."

Through 1948, Diz jazzed the tone-deaf Browns. "I slud along with them as long as I could, but I eventual made up my mind to quit."

(You can read a lot more about Dizzy and broadcasting at: http://curtsmith.mlblogs.com/archives/2006/02/dizzy_dean_easi.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment